Considering getting a little work done to look and feel your best? You are not alone! Whether for cosmetic or medical reasons, millions of people opt for plastic surgery to reach their desired results every year. Undergoing plastic surgery can be life changing, and you want to ensure you cross all your ‘t’s’ and dot all your ‘i’s’ before your procedure is under-way.
Be sure to ask these 10 vital questions at your next consultation:
- Are you a board certified plastic surgeon?
- You want to ensure that your surgeon has the right training, and is qualified to perform plastic surgery. After all, this is your face and body we are talking about, and you want to be confident in your surgeon’s skills!
- How many years of plastic surgery training and experience do you have?
- Whether you are undergoing a simple, or a more invasive procedure, the number of times your surgeon has performed the procedure is important. The more times a procedure has been performed, the more comfortable the surgeon will be with the procedure and it’s complexities, and the more comfortable you feel in your surgeon’s abilities and recommendations.
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- You have done your research and chosen the procedure that you believe is best for you. However, your surgeon is the expert and will be able to provide you with other options that may be more suitable for your objectives.
- How long will the procedure last?
- Some procedures, such as Wrinkle Treatment, are quick and result in zero downtime. Abdominoplasty, on the other hand, may require an overnight stay, and follow-up visits are often necessary. Your surgeon will be able to provide you with more information, so you know how much time to book off work and other activities.
- How long is the recovery time, and what is expected of me before/after procedure?
- I’m sure you’re anxious to continue your daily activities and start enjoying your results, so how long before you can get back to it? The recovery time will differ depending on the procedure. Upon consultation, your surgeon will provide you with a better estimate of recovery time, ensuring you take enough time off for a full and safe recovery. Be sure to ask your surgeon regarding preparations for before and after the surgery.
- What are the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure?
- You want to be sure that you are aware of any possible risks, and how they are preventatively addressed.
- Where and how will the procedure be performed?
- Will anesthesia be used? Will the procedure be performed in an office or hospital? Your surgeon will be able to inform you of all the details prior to the procedure so you feel comfortable and prepared. You will want to make all arrangements ahead of time, so everything runs smoothly on the day of your procedure.
- What is the total cost of the treatment?
- As with any investment, you want to have a complete breakdown of all the costs you will incur before, during and after your procedure. Note, this is also a good time to ask your surgeon what financing options are available.
- Do you have any before and after photos of similar procedures?
- Before and after photos will be able to provide you with a realistic idea of what you should expect after your procedure. Keep in mind, every person is individual and unique, and results may vary depending on factors including body type, age, etc.
- What are the possibilities in case of dissatisfaction?
- We certainly hope that this is not the case, but in the event that you are not happy with your results, you will want to know all possible options that will lead to your satisfaction. If you are thorough in your questions prior to your procedure though, you will have realistic expectations of the results, and should be nothing but happy with the outcome!
Communicating openly with your plastic surgeon is the first step to ensuring whether plastic surgery is the right choice for you. Working together with your surgeon will help them understand your goals, expectations, and motivations; and ensure that the treatment selected will meet your expectations.
Your personalized consultation is a great time to ask any and all questions you may have about reaching your desired results. Feeling comfortable with the surgeon you have selected is the first step to the new you. Meet our knowledgeable staff at Clearview Plastic Surgery and have all your questions answered by booking your own personalized consultation today!